Friday, March 02, 2012

I'll tell you who still sound good ........ Wire

Early era Wire stuff sound as good as it ever did.

Chairs Missing is the one for me: its a cross between New Wave and Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd. Outdoor Miner, how brilliant is that track?

I forgot about I Am The Fly , how could I?

The third LP, 154, is also worthwhile as is Behind the Curtain which compiles Peel sessions and demos from that era.

I was in an Irish bar in Amsterdam last summer and nearly fell off my chair when the barman played their first LP Pink Flag in its entirety. To be honest, it is not as full sounding as the other LPs from this era but there's still much merit in it.

I kind of lost track of Wire after they split and reformed but was mightily impressed with  2002's Send and again with last year's Red Barked Tree. They're right back up there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home