Monday, March 05, 2012

Aren't Flats brilliant

I'm not talking about height-challenged dwellings, I'm on about the best noisy band in the world called Flats.

Flats have got a new single out called Country which is a total epic clocking in at over 4 minutes. (When they play this track live it must double the length of their show!)

It is completely brilliant, I think it is going to be my favourite track of the year; I cant see how it will be topped. I look forward to the LP at the end of April.

I heard Flats for the first time last year (2011) on the wonderful Tom Ravenscroft show on 6Music. He played the single 'Never Again'. Then they did a session for Marc Riley and did a load of live-on-air-accidental swearing. This was also brilliant - the session, not the swearing although, credit where credit is due, they do a good line in expletives followed by sheepish apologies.

Then I was fortunate to see them in Oxford at the Jericho Tavern. It's a good job I didn't need the toilet whilst they were on as I'd have probably missed the whole set - they only played about 20 minutes, but it was twenty minutes of sheer brilliance.

To me they sound like Discharge around the Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing era which is the era of Discharge to sound like. Normally I don't like bands that sound like other bands but in this case it is fully justified.



It's also refreshing that a band that cite Crass, Chron Gen and Anthrax as influences don't feel the need to sport mohicans and metal-studded leather jackets, not that I mind that but its all a bit 1979 and it doesnt really make the music sound any different.

Since I can't find any more Flats, I'll offer you some Discharge for your listening pleasure. Flats actually make them sound fairly sedate.

Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing



Hell On Earth



Time to listen to Country again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home